Bioperl-guts: SeqFeatures in Entry

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:03:21 +0100 (BST)

Last night I was thinking about SeqFeatures and Ian's
proposed free-form 'tag' system. In general I think this
is a good idea - we can't predict what people might want
as SeqFeatures, however we should have a list of
condoned tags, so that if people want to use conventions
they can. Otherwise we will have some people using hte
tag 'exon' and other people using the tag 'Exon' when
they both really wanted to use an interoperable system.

So I think we should reserve tags like

'gene'
'exon'
'repeat'
etc

and give them (reasonably) precise definitions

----> ??? What about subclassing features.

Ewan Birney
<birney@sanger.ac.uk>
http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/birney/