Bioperl-guts: Bio::Tools::IUPAC

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q@virginia.edu
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:59:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 14 Apr 1999, Ewan Birney wrote:

> > The Seq object I give back is actually the same that was given to me, just
> > with a new sequence.  So all original info (desc, id, etc) remains the
> > same.  We could add a new field to the hash with numbering, but the number
> > won't mean much besides "this is the n'th Seq object I've given back to
> > you", which a user could get much more cheaply with their own counter.
>
> Aha. I still - althought you are right that it is easier for the user I
> suspect a number of people will want the counter in teh id or description
> line...

I agree that in practice I would want the id to be something unique (some
concatenation of the real id plus some number).  However, I happen to know
that some utilities that read sequence files will bomb if your id is
longer than a certain length.  So we can put it in desc then I guess:

"[Bio::Tools::IUPAC-generated unique sequence # 1,412,352]"

(suggestions for other tags welcome)

-Aaron