Bioperl-guts: BioPerl Web App

Bradley Marshall bradbioperl@yahoo.com
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 17:19:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hey all,

	Let me introduce myself.  My name is Brad Marshall.  I'm developing a
Server Application for Molecular Biology (maybe SAMBy, pronounced
Zombie.).  I have been prototyping for a while now and this is what
I've come up with:

-A web server run with java servelets and an OODBMS (check out
www.enhydra.org.)

-Interfacing the bioperl modules through CORBA to add functionality.
(ie Blast, restrictions, etc.)

-possibly other CORBA interfaces to EMBOSS, etc.

-UML based on the LSR BSA proposal.

The application will be designed with smaller labs in mind.  I will
host the product and allow individuals to set up an account to store,
manage and analyze their sequence data.  (sort of like DNAstar but
free, and over the web)

All code will be GPL'd.

I have a couple questions:  what is the best perl ORB?  What is the
best GPL'd java ORB (I realize this may be the wrong discussion for
java.  FYI  I'm using Kaffe java, I want all involved components to be
GPL'd. none of the Sun crap.)

Also I'm looking for input and/or help.  I'm still very early here.
(this is my first go at CORBA and Perl.  I'm having trouble setting up
jorba- the java orb)  If you have any suggestions, let me know.

Thanks
Brad Marshall