Bioperl-guts: cookbook module?

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q@virginia.edu
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 13:30:19 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Ewan Birney wrote:

> Perhaps we should put hte cookbook in its own cvs module "space"
> (like my XS is - or should be once I do it!).

Not sure about this one - I think for a book it's vital that the "group
effect" be minimized - i.e. a very small number of people should actually
add and edit the content, to help ensure consistency.  I like the idea of
Kris managing our submissions and integrating them as he sees fit.  He'll
of course be providing snapshots for us to look at and critique ...

> Maybe examples should
> move there as well.

I think the examples should stay with the main trunk (but that doesn't
mean the book distribution shouldn't have a "release" snapshot of the
examples directory).  It's nice but not critical for code snippets in the
book to exactly match the examples/ working code (lots of publications
point you to their website where you can find updated, bug-fixed versions
of their examples).

My 2 cents, maybe there's a better way to integrate the two that I'm not
thinking of, Kris?

-Aaron

--
/ Aaron J Mackey           \