Bioperl-guts: The BioPerl Cookbook: some thoughts/questions

Kris Boulez krbou@pgsgent.be
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 21:18:16 +0200

Quoting Ewan Birney (birney@sanger.ac.uk):
> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Aaron J Mackey wrote:
>

> > Yes, but in some sense that's what each module's pod documentation should
> > accomplish (in conjunction with the introductory information in
> > bioperl.pod)
> >

> In general I think there should be a way of keeping the cookbook in
> perfect sync with the documentation. Kris - I am not sure what you are
> considering for the format of the cookbook but if it is latex or docbook
> or someother structured language, it should be ok to write a pod2 (or
> more properely a bioperlpod2 as we have our own function definitions
> inside pod) to the format. This might mean some internal changes to our
> documentation, but that would be a good thing...

How to really write the book is not clear at all to me at the moment.
I've never written a book or anything like it. Can people who have, tell
me which software/tools they've used (it has to be software which runs
on Unix (preferably linux)).

> One key thing for me is that it is *readable* in the sense that an Oreilly
> book is readable. (you can print it out, etc, etc). This is more than
> pod or html pages.

Do you mean by 'readable', that one has to be able to print it from a
reasonable format (pdf, postscript)?

Kris,