Bioperl-guts: cookbook module?

Kris Boulez krbou@pgsgent.be
Mon, 30 Aug 1999 22:06:21 +0200

Quoting Aaron J Mackey (ajm6q@virginia.edu):
> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Kris Boulez wrote:
>
> > I'll create a web page about the outline of the BPC shortly. But one of
> > the goals certainly is that the code is extracted automatically from the
> > 'book' and put in (a subdir of) the examples/ directory.
>
> See, this is where I disagree.  I don't think the code in the examples/
> dir should be automatically extracted from anywhere; I think the code in
> the book should reflect (mimic, even plagarize) the code in examples/, but
> from a development viewpoint, the code in examples will be susceptible to
> bug fixes, tweaks, etc that, IMO, need not be mirrored in the cookbook
> "after press".  Updated in the BPC, 2nd edition, sure (where applicable),
> but one cookie at a time.

I certainly agree with your last sentence ('the one cookie at a time'
part), because  I want be able to work at this a lot at the office, most
of it will be done at home.

It's not yet clear to me wether a real 'release' ("going to press") is the
best way to go, or if a continous updated book is beter. The 'release'
of a book has the advantage of having a real deadline, which forces you
to clean everything up and make it publishable. A continuous version of
the book has the advantage to be able to follow the development of
BioPerl more closely, while it might become more 'fragmented' with
certain portions getting more attention then others.
As I do expect a lot of changes/additions to BioPerl during the coming
year(s), I was more inclined to the 'continously evolving' version of
the book. It is in this light I saw the automatic extraction of the
examples/ directory. But I'm certainly open to comments/suggesions in
either way.

Kris,