Bioperl-guts: bioperl for windows?

Osborne, Brian brian.osborne@cadus.com
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 12:43:41 -0400

Zachary,

I believe you would have to do a bit of amending to make the code work, but
I think the answer is "yes". That's because ActiveState's Perl port (I am
assuming this is the one you're using, see www.activestate.com
<http://www.activestate.com>  if not) doesn't support all Perl's built-in
functions (see below for the list of those not available). Specifically, I
believe that alarm() will be called. I've gotten bioperl installed on NT,
but I haven't used Blast.pm. You can receive assistance from me and, I'm
sure, from others on this list on how to work around the alarm() call. Do
you have bioperl and/or perl installed?

Brian O.

OSI
777 Old Saw Mill River Rd.
Tarrytown NY 10591
brian.osborne@cadus.com
TEL 914 467 6291
FAX 914 345 3565

Functions for processes and process groups
	alarm(), fork(), getpgrp(), getppid(), getpriority(), setpgrp(),
setpriority()
Fetching user and group info
	endgrent(), endpwent(), getgrent(), getgrgid(), getgrnam(),
getpwent(), getpwnam(), getpwuid(), setgrent(), setpwent()
System V interprocess communication functions
	msgctl(), msgget(), msgrcv(), msgsnd(), semctl(), semget(), semop(),
shmctl(), shmget(), shmread(), shmwrite()
Functions for filehandles, files, or directories
	link(), symlink(), chroot()
Input and output functions
	syscall()
Fetching network info
	getnetbyname(), getnetbyaddr(), getnetent(), getprotoent(),
getservent(), sethostent(), setnetent(), setprotoent(), setservent(),
endhostent(), endnetent(), endprotoent(), endservent(), socketpair()