Bioperl-guts: jitterbug auto bug notification turned on again

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 00:24:18 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Steve Chervitz wrote:

> Chris Dagdigian writes:
>  >
>  > Hi folks,
>  >
>  > For some reason the "send email to the guts list" option was
>  > turned off on our jitterbug tracking system. I have just enabled
>  > it again.
>
> Thanks.
>
>  > This means that new incoming bug reports will be CC'd to
>  > this list.
>  >
>  > The downside is that every action we take to move or
>  > edit things in jitterbug often results in an email being
>  > sent off to the guts list as well. This is generally not
>  > a good thing for our signal-to-noise ratio.
>
> I don't think it is so bad. The automatic notification tells everyone
> when a bug's status has been altered. This helps unify the efforts of
> everyone who is working on the code base, or has a strong interest in
> it. Those who are not interested in bug notification can simply delete
> the jitterbug emails. A minor inconvenience for those who don't care,
> but a big help for those who do.
>
> Since most of the developers typically don't work in the same time
> zone and maybe see each other once a year, it's helpful to get an
> indication of how the codebase is changing, and who is working on
> what. I would even prefer that all cvs commits should trigger automatic
> email notification (as well as be archived somewhere).
>
> A fair amount of the discussions on the guts list should probably be
> happening on the main discussion list and the guts list reserved for
> jitterbug/cvs notification, cvs branching debates, and pre-release
> strategizing amongst developers. These are things of interest
> primarily to people actively working on the code. But unless all of
> the lists are moderated, it's hard to control to which list someone
> posts. I don't know who has the time to do all that moderating.

I think steve has a good point. This could really change the structure
of the lists. My feeling is that most of the people on the main bioperl
list would like to listen into "functional" aspects of the discussion
(eg, james' recent post about the adding of ace parser's or brad's bioxml
parsers). So... as most people who post to guts are on this list and also
the bioperl list, we can change the guts/not guts posting by being morally
strong ourselves...

proposal is, to follow steve's suggestion about posting to the bioperl
list anyway.

If noone objects I will post the main bioperl list this weekend (long
enough for other people to read this and object) outlining our new posting
strategy.

e.