Bioperl-guts: PROPOSAL: feature_count method in Bio::Seq?

Peter van Heusden
Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:24:44 +0200 (SAST)

Hi All

In order to implement a fix to the Fasta->EMBL problem I reported earlier,
I'd like a way to tell if a Seq object has any SeqFeatures. There doesn't
currently seem to be a way to do this, besides retrieving them and looking
at the size of the array you get back - which is a waste of memory, in
some cases (e.g. it means that code in for the non _post_sort'ed
case doesn't lower memory load, as promised).

So - I'd like to add a 'feature_count' method in, which
returns the number of features (if present) or -1. What do people

Peter van Heusden
Electric Genetics