Naming the modules; Mailing lists

Georg Fuellen fuellen@dali.Mathematik.Uni-Bielefeld.DE
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:56:40 +0000 (GMT)

> > Maybe I can find time over the weekend to retry this - but I need to make
> > one thing sure: Do you agree w/ the recommandations at
> > ?
> > I cannot afford spending time on this and discovering later that it's
> > not the right way to do it.
> > [ ] agree [ ] don't agree, ______________________________________
> I don't know what you mean by the 'recommendations'.  He just gives some
> suggestions about how to go about building these things.  The directions
> there seem reasonable, though those in man ExtUtils::MakeMaker are the
> ones I would go by.

I guess I can spend hours with ``man ExtUtils::MakeMaker'', so I'll
have to retry the "reasonable" directions in module_mechanics.html...
(Perl has got a lot of ideas on making things easier for the developer,
but ExtUtils::MakeMaker is definitely  not  one of them, IMHO).

> > If we present stuff offline on our multimedia PC, every symbolic link
> > is one too much !
> Huh?  Why is the symbolic link a problem?  And what does an offline
> multimedia PC have to do with this anyway?

Whenever we present our award-winning VSNS BioComputing Course, we copy
part of the directory tree at
onto our Multimedia PC, and we usually also present the Bioperl
project loosely associated with the course, and if anyone knows a nice
free Win95 program that copies a large directory tree without choking
at symbolic links, etc, please drop me a note !
(For the moment, I've added an ``index.html'' at
because discussing _this_ issue further would even more be a waste of time.)

best wishes,