NJ meeting & BioPerl

Chris Dagdigian cdagdigian@genetics.com
Wed, 22 Oct 1997 11:18:01 -0400

I won't be able to make the NJ meeting because of a conflict...going to a conference on
"Integrating Databases and Web Technology" in San Diego.

I think I will be able to get company support to allow me to become involved in the
Bioinformatics Domain discussions for CORBA/IIOP in the very near future. The reason
being that the most valuable asset of Genetics Institute is the vast amounts of
intellectual property we have. One of the projects I am working on is a big effort
to make sure that all the info that we have sitting in various research/discovery
databases is available enterprise-wide. To that end we have been looking at CORBA as
a possible solution for allowing browsing and visualization tools to draw data from any
company database or scientific instrument regardless of platform, location or operating

If I start attending the CORBA Bioinformatics organizational meetings I will be more than happy
to also promote BioPerl and our efforts as much as possible. I realize that I'm not the best
technical person to represent our group but I can at least talk the project up and direct people
to our URL's and members.

My biggest priority is correctly configuring MakeMaker so that BioSeq gets correctly configured
if ReadSeq is found on the system. After I have a perfect "perl Makefile.PL, make test, make
install" package it can be released immediatly and I can get to work on internal bug fixes and

Chris Dagdigian