Bioperl: Re: Bio::Tools::Blast

Ewan Birney
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 15:08:40 +0100 (BST)

> In any case, what annoys me is that many people are using the
> description field to encapsulate meta-data, but nobody is doing it in
> the same way.  Even at the NCBI, I see different conventions.  For
> example, Greg Schuler has a simple tag=value notation, but FASTA files
> produced by other NCBI scientists use the | symbol to delineate
> positional parameters.  A real mess.

Completely agree. Plus it is asking for line buffering stuff to break
(I know we shouldn't have this sort of complaint - but there you go.
Lots of things do have a max line buffering size).

> My original comments stand.

I'm with you lincoln.

> Is there an ASN.1 parser in BioPerl?

I'm planning to write an XS interface into readseq which I think also
includes ASN.1 for sequences (?)

But a full-blown parser? Would we want/need one? (ie... do you mean ASN.1
as a general parser, or ASN.1 just for sequences)

Ewan Birney