Bioperl: Reading from a stream into Bio::Seq

Gordon D. Pusch
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 11:34:15 -0600

Ewan Birney <> wrote:

> Are you looking at the CORBA stuff at all?

No, although Ross Overbeek and I have discussed CORBA privately on a
number of occasions, and conluded that it seemed more complicated than
we really wanted to get into at this time.

Our current ambitions are much more modest --- we just wanted a common,
easily-parsable metafile-format that would support the most important
features and data-types that were of interest to the KEGG and WIT projects,
and could be easily translated to each of our local internal representations.
a hierachy of HTML-like ``container-objects'' seemed like a reasonable
model to start from --- and once we realized how much what was evolving
looked like XML, we decided to make it standard-compliant --- which would
(theoretically! :-) gain us the additional advantage of easy extensibility
if (i.e., =when= :-) we decided to support new features...

Gordon D. Pusch,               |       Internet: <>
Ph.D., Consultant              |

Disclaimer:  I'm a consultant collaborating with Argonne researchers;
I don't speak for ANL or the DOE --- and they *certainly* don't speak
for =ME= !!!

Claimer:  I report =ALL= SPAMvertisers to their ISP --- =NO= exceptions !!!