Bioperl: 06 - pre release 2.

Ewan Birney
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 17:00:24 +0000 (GMT)

The second pre release of the 06 series is out for people to download
and test/break/complain about. It is at

This pre-release includes new modules

  SeqStats - protein and DNA molecular weight functions
             Peter Schattner

  CodonTable - Codon Table translations and reverse translation
               for all known codon tables.
               Heikki Lehvaslaiho

Many thanks to both of these authors

In addition I have split out the Root Object system to allow better
integration with non-perl based systems, fixed minor errors. Steve
Chervitz has provided a number of fixes to the BLAST parsing modules.

We have 144 tests in the test suite, all of which pass.

I have the following things left to do before the stable branch
can be put in:

a) see whether I can make the BLAST HSP objects compliant to
the new Bio::SeqFeatureI interface, making the BLAST parser
play well with the new sequence object.

b) map all the seqio function read/writes to the ->_readline
syntax from lincoln's new base class.

c) fixing the Bio::DB to be more biocorba ready

c) find more bugs and squash them before the branch.

**YOU** can help with c) by downloading the code and attempting
to run your existing scripts and/or writing new ones which
make the system not behave how you want it to...

Ewan Birney. Mobile: +44 (0)7970 151230