[Bioperl-l] $seq->id() is read only

hilmar.lapp@pharma.Novartis.com hilmar.lapp@pharma.Novartis.com
Thu, 12 Oct 2000 11:18:07 +0100

I think it is a bug. I've fixed something similar at another place. I'd
suggest to make both id() and display_id() get/set, and reflect this in the

Regarding PrimarySeq->id() I'm not so familiar with the original ideas
behind the object model and the different id-methods (maybe id() is more
databank-tailored?).  Ewan?

Kris Boulez <krbou@pgsgent.be>@bioperl.org on 12.10.2000 08:29:10

Sent by:  bioperl-l-admin@bioperl.org

Subject:  [Bioperl-l] $seq->id() is read only

I wanted to change the ID on a seq object and found out that this
is non-trivial if you only follow your instinct and read the manuals

$seq->id($new_id)  is a no-op. It discards it's arguments and calls

$seq->display_id($new_id) does what one expects but is not documented
(only the read case is documented).

$primaryseq->id      doesn't exist
$primaryseq->display_id  is what is called in the end

Is there any reason for this or can I

- change the documentation
- make $seq->id() to not drop his args
- add $primaryseq->id()