[Bioperl-l] Speeding Up File Access

Johnny Amos quickster333 at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 10 15:35:48 EDT 2004

There was a recent article at PerlMonks.org about speeding up file IO:

One thing that caught my attention was the use of the :raw pragma on
filehandle creation to explicitly prevent handling of Unicode text.  In the
example given this cut file IO times in half for a 3 GB file.

open (FH, '< :raw', $filename);
instead of just:
open (FH, '<', $filename);

I tried to look at Bio::Root::IO to see if an option for using this (or an
equivalent) was already implemented, but couldn't see one.

Is this something worth submitting a patch for?  Would it be useful for
things like UniGene, LocusLink, BLAT, and Blast parsers or can these files
contain Unicode in them somehow?

Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage! Multiple plans available.