[Bioperl-l] Installation problems: "unable to remap"

Jonathan Arthur jarthur at med.usyd.edu.au
Thu Nov 17 23:20:51 EST 2005

Hello all,

I am having difficulty installing BioPerl. I am running Windows XP
Professional with cygwin. I am using the CPAN installer to attempt to
install the Bundle::BioPerl modules.

The installation appears to go relatively smoothly and end normally. It
does note at the end that there were installation problems with
File::Spec, GD::SVG, and Data::Stag. Nonetheless, when I try to "use
Bio::Perl"  Perl cannot find the module and exploring /usr/lib confirms
the modules are not present.

I then tried installing the problem modules above on the assumption that
the final installation of Bio::Perl was dependent on these modules being
successfully installed. The creation of the makefile for GD::SVG dies with:

C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe (800): *** unable to remap
c:\cygwin\bin\cygfreetype-6.dll to same address as parent(0xE100000) !=

Data::Stag installation experiences a similar error (with different
.dll) when trying to install the Tk dependency.

File::Spec installation appears to install fine (bar some failed tests
because it can't load File::Spec::VMS) and it is present in
/usr/lib/perl5 so it is not clear what the cpan installation is
complaining about in regard to this module.

Could anyone assist with these installation problems?

Dr Jonathan Arthur
Sesqui Lecturer in Bioinformatics
Central Clinical School, Faculty of Medicine and SUBIT
Medical Foundation Building, K25
University of Sydney
Ph: +61 2 9036 3132
Email: jarthur at med.usyd.edu.au