[Bioperl-l] XML parser preference?

Jurgen Pletinckx jurgen.pletinckx at algonomics.com
Thu Aug 10 08:29:57 EDT 2006

| I have no doubt that XML::LibXML is a great parser (I've used
| it a few
| times), the problem with it is that it runs on top of libxml2's C
| library. On *nix systems it's fairly simple to have this dependency
| compiled and running, but what about having it under other OS's
| Windows)?
| Introducing XML::LibXML as a dependency into the toolkit will
| probably
| place EUtilities as a module not usable by everyone, especially
| who use BioPerl in a OS where installing/compiling C
| dependencies can be
| a headache.

Regarding XML::LibXML, there does appear to be an up-to-date ppm
package (which fetches libxml2.dll) at

(and less than a week since the release of the corresponding
version to cpan, too.)

So the threshold for distribution to Windows, at least, is less
high than it might have been.

Jurgen Pletinckx
AlgoNomics NV