[Bioperl-l] Bioperl 1.5.2 RC5 install onWinXPActivePerl

Nathan S. Haigh n.haigh at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Dec 1 04:26:22 EST 2006

Sendu Bala wrote:
> Chris Fields wrote:
>> I know that setting up the PPM is a pain, but I have to say it is
>> much faster, and all required PPMs are available.  Which makes me
>> curious: why bother with trying out a CPAN installation process at
>> this point, especially when you have to use PPM to install some of
>> the prereqs properly anyway?
> Firstly, problems discovered and resulting fixes will help all
> platforms, not just Windows. So thanks for trying it out and reporting
> back. Secondly, the PPM method, like Bundle::BioPerl, is
> all-or-nothing. The CPAN installation method allows an interactive
> choice of which optional things to install.
> If what you say about DB_File is true, then that's a great shame!
> So I can do further trouble-shooting of my own, what is the sure-fire
> way to completely clean-out an ActivePerl install, including any
> modules you might have installed with PPMs or CPAN?

In addition, using CPAN allows you to run the test suite easily without
the need to download it separately and run it after a PPM install.

I don't know of a way to clean out ActivePerl - I use VMWare Workstation
and have a virtual machine with a fresh install of WinXP and ActivePerl - maybe someone else has ideas?

Virus Database (VPS): 0652-4, 30/11/2006
Tested on: 01/12/2006 09:26:23