[Bioperl-l] Problem with : EUtilities - Proxy

Chris Fields cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Dec 20 18:19:59 EST 2006

> > First, I got a $http_proxy env. variable automatically 
> defined by the 
> > BioPerl installation (I don't define and export it in my 
> > .bash_profile).
> > So when I'm logging in,             
> $http_proxy=http://ip_adress:port/


Sorry about the prior long-winded response.  I managed to reproduce the
error about five minutes after I responded and managed to trace the problem
back to GenericWebDBI.  The issue seems to be with the LWP::UserAgent
env_proxy method not setting correctly post-instantiation; setting to 0 or 1
doesn't seem to do anything.  If I add it to the list of args for chained
instantiation in the constructor:

    my $self = $class->SUPER::new(@args, env_proxy => 1);

it suddenly works like a charm.  Hard to know why it's being fussy...

I'm going to try reproducing this on a few platforms and check to see if it
has been reported as an LWP bug.  I have also committed a fix to CVS if you
want to test it out.


More information about the Bioperl-l mailing list