[Bioperl-l] Pattern Density

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers-institute.org
Tue Feb 21 15:38:55 EST 2006

You might consider displaying ccgg content as a track in mouse genome
browser at
For example, the following track causes it to display 3 proportionally
sized red boxes in the first 3K of mouse Chr1

glyph = xyplot
graph_type = boxes
fgcolor = black
bgcolor = red
key="Motif Content"

MotifContent CCGG   1..1000    score=20
MotifContent CCGG   1001..2000    score=50
MotifContent CCGG   2001..3000    score=30

There are many ways for computing the score.  I myself would begin with:

#!/usr/bin/env perl
use strict;

use Bio::SeqIO; # for reading sequence to scan
use TFBS::Word::Consensus; # for the pattern matching.  cf.
use PDL::Basic; # if you have it installed, for the histogram binning