[Bioperl-l] "Project OpenLab" (working title)
jay at jays.net
Sat May 27 12:47:27 EDT 2006
We've been kicking around this idea for a few months now. I'm threatening to start coding. Once I do I might not sleep for a few weeks so I thought I'd solicit feedback now. :)
- Does any such project already exist?
- If there's no other obvious choice already bent to BioPerl / BioPerl DB / BioSQL, I'll probably be writing the web framework in Perl's Template Toolkit. The server is Linux, Apache, mySQL (BioPerl DBs).
- I'll be using BioPerl objects for the persistence layer as much as possible. Where not possible I'll ask this list about my patches/additions/ugly hackery.
- I'll be discussing my back office tables like "users" that don't belong in bioperl-db; and my questions about new tables that might belong there on the BioSQL-l mailing list.
- I'm not a computer language zealot (usually), so I'm open to out-of-the-box ideas from anyone.
- I'm a biology newb with a long Perl/database/web/e-commerce background, so please feel free to point out any bio idiocy I engage in.
Thanks for your time,
More information about the Bioperl-l