[Bioperl-l] "progress": useful changes vs. "shiny new thingie"

aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com aaron.j.mackey at gsk.com
Wed Nov 15 13:29:30 EST 2006

What actual needs prompted the change from ExtUtils::MakeMaker to

It seems that the switch was made without a complete understanding of all
the bits and bobs in the existing Makefile.PL

For one, the Bio::DB::GFF Makefile.PL is independent (yet triggered by the
main Makefile.PL) such that users can choose whether to test the install
vs. a live database or not.  This is an example of encapsulation: the
specializied testing/install process for a module is kept with the module,
and not in the monolithic main script.

For two, it seems that the ability to install bp_*.pl scripts was "lost"
in the transition.

For three, there's certainly a lot more that I can't remember right now.

I know Module::Build is shiny and new and preferred for startup
development projects, but that cruddy old Makefile.PL still works, and
does a number of clever things that do have reasons for existence, even if
the collective wit of the mailing list can't remember all of them right

Aaron J. Mackey, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist
Bioinformatics Discovery & Analysis, Upper Providence
1250 South Collegeville Road, UP1345
P.O. Box 5089
Collegeville, PA  19426-0989
phone: 610-917-5761/8-282-5761