[Bioperl-l] bioperl-run and Bio::Root::AccessorMaker

Alex Lancaster alexl at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 18 04:50:51 EDT 2007

In packaging bioperl-run for Fedora, I think I stumbled across a bug
in the bioperl-run package.  It appears from this edit:

that Bio::Root::AccessorMaker was removed in bioperl 1.5.x, but
bioperl-run 1.5.2_100 still contains modules that use this module:

$ cd bioperl-run-1.5.2_100
$ grep -r AccessorMaker  *
Bio/Tools/Run/Phylo/Forester/SDI.pm:use Bio::Root::AccessorMaker (
Bio/Tools/Run/JavaRunner.pm:use Bio::Root::AccessorMaker ('$'=>[qw(jar
class min_version)]);
Bio/Tools/Run/AbstractRunner.pm:use Bio::Root::AccessorMaker
('$'=>[qw(input_file output_file)]);

This causes the automatic Perl dependency generator for RPM to add
Bio::Root::AccessorMake as a requires which means RPM will refuse to
install perl-bioperl-run because it's looking for the now-removed-
from-Core-bioperl module

$ sudo rpm -Uvh --test
error: Failed dependencies:
        perl(Bio::Root::AccessorMaker) is needed by

Are the SDI and JavaRunner modules being actively developed?  What's
the best course of action for these modules, should I just exclude
them from the package for now? since they won't work, even if if you
tell RPM to ignore the dependency warning.