[Bioperl-l] Feature/Annotation rollback finished
cjfields at uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 29 16:13:17 EDT 2007
I'll probably go ahead and start merging this stuff over to CVS HEAD
then. There haven't been any objections so far.
The page I posted outlines the more critical fixes, primarily the
changes to Bio::Ontology::Term methods (along with relevant code) due
to inconsistencies in the interface. The Bio::Annotation classes
also now throw if you attempt to use them in an overloaded context.
I also split off SeqFeature::Annotated tests into it's own test suite
Let me know if there are any problems along the way!
On Aug 29, 2007, at 2:45 PM, Scott Cain wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> I just wanted to let you know that I was out of town for a few
> days, but
> now I'm back and I'm doing testing of GMOD software based on the
> you are working on. I'll let you know how it goes, but don't let me
> stop you if you confident of your changes. I'm sure whatever goes
> wrong, it will just point out holes in the FeatureIO tests (I'm sure
> there are plenty) and will require hopefully minimal changes on my
> Thanks for your considerable efforts on this! (Regardless of how much
> work it makes for me :-)
> On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 16:05 -0500, Chris Fields wrote:
>> I'm now wrapping up the Feature/Annotation rollback. I will probably
>> start merging back to the main branch in the next day or two., as
>> soon as interested parties (*cough*devs*cough*) look over the last
>> batch of changes.
>> I have also added a small benchmark test which indicates a decrease
>> in parsing time in SeqIO::genbank with all tests passing. I expect
>> this will translate over to any Bio::SeqFeature::Generic-using class
>> (open mouth, prepare to insert foot....).
>> It is also possible there are still some instances where overloading
>> is expected lurking about in the ~1000 or so modules, so I'll leave
>> the exceptions I added to all Bio::AnnotationI; we can remove them
>> down the line, maybe prior to rel1.6, after more tests are added or
>> if they get particularly annoying. My guess is I caught 99.99% of
>> them (prepare to insert other foot....).
>> The key change in this last round is the addition of several class
>> *dbxref* methods to Bio::Ontology::Term and
>> Bio::Annotation::OntologyTerm, all of which are capable of working
>> with either DBLink instances or simple scalars. This was primarily
>> done in order to clear up inconsistencies in the older *dblink*
>> methods, which were ambiguous (some indicates simple scalar
>> arguments, others DBLink objects); operator overloading was used
>> extensively in these cases, which led to several issues. I have
>> added deprecation warnings to the older methods which now map to
>> using the newer methods. All tests pass with the exception of a few
>> already failing on the MAIN branch; the single test which needs to be
>> fixed is a round-tripping error in swiss.t (now a TODO), which can be
>> fixed after merging back.
>> Please respond to this if there are any questions or if I need to
>> clarify the changes I made a bit more.
>> Bioperl-l mailing list
>> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
> Scott Cain, Ph. D.
> cain at cshl.edu
> GMOD Coordinator (http://www.gmod.org/)
> Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
> Bioperl-l mailing list
> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
Lab of Dr. Robert Switzer
Dept of Biochemistry
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
More information about the Bioperl-l