[Bioperl-l] Perl 3D OpenGL

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Tue Jul 31 08:00:56 EDT 2007

On Jul 29, 2007, at 4:08 PM, Grafman Productions wrote:
> If this posting is inappropriate, please let me know - my apologies.

Not at all. AFAIK this is the perfect place to discuss any
contributions you're motivated to make to the BioPerl project.

> I recently came across an article on BioPerl, and it occurred to me
> that
> there might be some need for 3D rendering within your BioPerl project.
> I released a number of new/updated Perl OpenGL (POGL) modules this
> year,
> along with benchmarks that demonstrate that it performs comparably
> to C.
> If there's a need for 3D features within BioPerl, and if I can be
> of any
> assistance in helping to add such features, I would enjoy the
> opportunity.

I know nothing about 3D modeling in biology, nor do I hang out with
any protein structure folks, but 3D always sounds sexy. -grin-

If you're new to bioinformatics (I certainly am) you might want to
read this:

Because that's probably where your 3D work would be used. Especially
note the "Software" section, where you'll find some of the
"competition".  :)

There's some cool stuff out there. I don't know what all would or
wouldn't be time well spent in Perl / BioPerl.

Jay Hannah