[Bioperl-l] Smaller Bioperl Modules

Sendu Bala bix at sendu.me.uk
Thu Jul 24 19:15:08 EDT 2008

Nathan.Watson-Haigh at csiro.au wrote:

> It seems that the issue of having "tons of separately installable
> mini-bioperl modules" is not an issue at all for anyone at CPAN, not a
> problem for end users (as long as dependencies between modules are done
> correctly) but maybe/is an issue for dev maintainance:
> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=699449

I asked on the perl mailing list. It was very strongly discouraged, with
good reasons.
(especially Adam Kennedy's postings of 4/07)

Please remind yourself of the past discussion before pressing forward:

> Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to visualise the network of
> dependencies within Bioperl to see if any tight clusters of heavy
> connected modules that would be candidates for a separate
> "mini-modules".

I've already done something along these lines. Check out
'module_usage.pl' in the maintenance directory.