[Bioperl-l] Withdraw Bio::Graphics and Bio::DB::SeqFeature from bioperl distribution?

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 11 10:47:32 EST 2008


Heikki,

I'll volunteer to do this.  I think this should be a 1.6 release.   
Users have been screaming for a 'stable' release for years now, and  
everything on trunk is definitely more stable than 1.4, so I say we  
should (as Mark Johnson says) tag it, bag it and ship it.  However, it  
should be the final 'full' bioperl release prior to splitting things  
up.  Much of the stuff proposed on the release schedule for 1.6 can  
wait until we can decide what to split off and who can maintain  
everything.  Makes sense to put this off until then anyway if you read  
the list, at least to me:

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Release_Schedule

Simple bug fixes after the split can be made on the 1.6 branch and  
submitted to CPAN as point releases on a regular basis.  If needed I  
can work on maintaining the 1.6 releases until we switch over to the  
split distribution structure.  We can discuss other issues (how to tie  
in separate release versions to 'core', etc) along the way.

I'll try to come up with something by this weekend.

chris

On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:38 AM, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:

> Either way (1.6 or 1.5.3), the main thing is to get a release out  
> soon. I
> agree with the sentiments expressed here to split bioperl into  
> smallish
> logical packages after the next release.
>
> Chris, looks like you have volunteered to be the release manager. As  
> such you
> have quite a lot of responsibility ( :) ) as well as power. Please  
> start
> posting to the list at least weekly updates what needs to be done and
> assigning tasks to people who you know can do part of the job.
>
> Also, a clear published  time line helps getting things done.
>
> Let us know what you want us to do. I am waiting instructions.
>
>  -Heikki
>
> On Tuesday 11 November 2008 10:05:18 Sendu Bala wrote:
>> Chris Fields wrote:
>>> I'll work on a few bugs towards getting 1.6 released with a rough
>>> timeline for end of Nov, maybe even Thanksgiving.  We can work on
>>> splitting things up after that.
>>
>> I don't think there's any need to put it out as 1.6 if it doesn't
>> satisfy the requirements we planned for 1.6. Just make it another dev
>> point release: 1.5.3. If the issue is that you want it showing up  
>> during
>> a CPAN search, just don't give it a dev version number (1.5.3_001).
>> _______________________________________________
>> Bioperl-l mailing list
>> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
>> http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l
>
> -- 
> ______ _/      _/_____________________________________________________
>      _/      _/
>     _/  _/  _/  Heikki Lehvaslaiho    heikki at_sanbi _ac _za
>    _/_/_/_/_/  Senior Scientist    skype: heikki_lehvaslaiho
>   _/  _/  _/  SANBI, South African National Bioinformatics Institute
>  _/  _/  _/  University of Western Cape, South Africa
>     _/      Phone: +27 21 959 2096   FAX: +27 21 959 2512
> ___ _/_/_/_/_/________________________________________________________
>
> _______________________________________________
> Bioperl-l mailing list
> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
> http://lists.open-bio.org/mailman/listinfo/bioperl-l

Christopher Fields
Postdoctoral Researcher
Lab of Dr. Marie-Claude Hofmann
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign






More information about the Bioperl-l mailing list