[Bioperl-l] Withdraw Bio::Graphics and Bio::DB::SeqFeature from bioperl distribution?
lincoln.stein at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:00:56 EST 2008
Thanks so much for volunteering to take this on!!!!
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Chris Fields <cjfields at illinois.edu>wrote:
> I'll volunteer to do this. I think this should be a 1.6 release. Users
> have been screaming for a 'stable' release for years now, and everything on
> trunk is definitely more stable than 1.4, so I say we should (as Mark
> Johnson says) tag it, bag it and ship it. However, it should be the final
> 'full' bioperl release prior to splitting things up. Much of the stuff
> proposed on the release schedule for 1.6 can wait until we can decide what
> to split off and who can maintain everything. Makes sense to put this off
> until then anyway if you read the list, at least to me:
> Simple bug fixes after the split can be made on the 1.6 branch and
> submitted to CPAN as point releases on a regular basis. If needed I can
> work on maintaining the 1.6 releases until we switch over to the split
> distribution structure. We can discuss other issues (how to tie in separate
> release versions to 'core', etc) along the way.
> I'll try to come up with something by this weekend.
> On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:38 AM, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
> Either way (1.6 or 1.5.3), the main thing is to get a release out soon. I
>> agree with the sentiments expressed here to split bioperl into smallish
>> logical packages after the next release.
>> Chris, looks like you have volunteered to be the release manager. As such
>> have quite a lot of responsibility ( :) ) as well as power. Please start
>> posting to the list at least weekly updates what needs to be done and
>> assigning tasks to people who you know can do part of the job.
>> Also, a clear published time line helps getting things done.
>> Let us know what you want us to do. I am waiting instructions.
>> On Tuesday 11 November 2008 10:05:18 Sendu Bala wrote:
>>> Chris Fields wrote:
>>>> I'll work on a few bugs towards getting 1.6 released with a rough
>>>> timeline for end of Nov, maybe even Thanksgiving. We can work on
>>>> splitting things up after that.
>>> I don't think there's any need to put it out as 1.6 if it doesn't
>>> satisfy the requirements we planned for 1.6. Just make it another dev
>>> point release: 1.5.3. If the issue is that you want it showing up during
>>> a CPAN search, just don't give it a dev version number (1.5.3_001).
>>> Bioperl-l mailing list
>>> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
>> ______ _/ _/_____________________________________________________
>> _/ _/
>> _/ _/ _/ Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at_sanbi _ac _za
>> _/_/_/_/_/ Senior Scientist skype: heikki_lehvaslaiho
>> _/ _/ _/ SANBI, South African National Bioinformatics Institute
>> _/ _/ _/ University of Western Cape, South Africa
>> _/ Phone: +27 21 959 2096 FAX: +27 21 959 2512
>> ___ _/_/_/_/_/________________________________________________________
>> Bioperl-l mailing list
>> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
> Christopher Fields
> Postdoctoral Researcher
> Lab of Dr. Marie-Claude Hofmann
> College of Veterinary Medicine
> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Lincoln D. Stein
Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
101 College St., Suite 800
Toronto, ON, Canada M5G0A3
Assistant: Stacey Quinn <Stacey.Quinn at oicr.on.ca>
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
1 Bungtown Road
Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 USA
Assistant: Sandra Michelsen <michelse at cshl.edu>
More information about the Bioperl-l