[Bioperl-l] Withdraw Bio::Graphics and Bio::DB::SeqFeature from bioperl distribution?
cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 11 11:20:12 EST 2008
No problem. I'm still aiming for sooner rather than later (end of
november), with the intent of fixing bugs on the 1.6 branch and having
regular point releases.
On Nov 11, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Lincoln Stein wrote:
> Hi Chris,
> Thanks so much for volunteering to take this on!!!!
> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Chris Fields
> <cjfields at illinois.edu>wrote:
>> I'll volunteer to do this. I think this should be a 1.6 release.
>> have been screaming for a 'stable' release for years now, and
>> everything on
>> trunk is definitely more stable than 1.4, so I say we should (as Mark
>> Johnson says) tag it, bag it and ship it. However, it should be
>> the final
>> 'full' bioperl release prior to splitting things up. Much of the
>> proposed on the release schedule for 1.6 can wait until we can
>> decide what
>> to split off and who can maintain everything. Makes sense to put
>> this off
>> until then anyway if you read the list, at least to me:
>> Simple bug fixes after the split can be made on the 1.6 branch and
>> submitted to CPAN as point releases on a regular basis. If needed
>> I can
>> work on maintaining the 1.6 releases until we switch over to the
>> distribution structure. We can discuss other issues (how to tie in
>> release versions to 'core', etc) along the way.
>> I'll try to come up with something by this weekend.
>> On Nov 11, 2008, at 2:38 AM, Heikki Lehvaslaiho wrote:
>> Either way (1.6 or 1.5.3), the main thing is to get a release out
>> soon. I
>>> agree with the sentiments expressed here to split bioperl into
>>> logical packages after the next release.
>>> Chris, looks like you have volunteered to be the release manager.
>>> As such
>>> have quite a lot of responsibility ( :) ) as well as power. Please
>>> posting to the list at least weekly updates what needs to be done
>>> assigning tasks to people who you know can do part of the job.
>>> Also, a clear published time line helps getting things done.
>>> Let us know what you want us to do. I am waiting instructions.
>>> On Tuesday 11 November 2008 10:05:18 Sendu Bala wrote:
>>>> Chris Fields wrote:
>>>>> I'll work on a few bugs towards getting 1.6 released with a rough
>>>>> timeline for end of Nov, maybe even Thanksgiving. We can work on
>>>>> splitting things up after that.
>>>> I don't think there's any need to put it out as 1.6 if it doesn't
>>>> satisfy the requirements we planned for 1.6. Just make it another
>>>> point release: 1.5.3. If the issue is that you want it showing up
>>>> a CPAN search, just don't give it a dev version number (1.5.3_001).
>>>> Bioperl-l mailing list
>>>> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
>>> ______ _/ _/
>>> _/ _/
>>> _/ _/ _/ Heikki Lehvaslaiho heikki at_sanbi _ac _za
>>> _/_/_/_/_/ Senior Scientist skype: heikki_lehvaslaiho
>>> _/ _/ _/ SANBI, South African National Bioinformatics Institute
>>> _/ _/ _/ University of Western Cape, South Africa
>>> _/ Phone: +27 21 959 2096 FAX: +27 21 959 2512
>>> ___ _/_/_/_/_/
>>> Bioperl-l mailing list
>>> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
>> Christopher Fields
>> Postdoctoral Researcher
>> Lab of Dr. Marie-Claude Hofmann
>> College of Veterinary Medicine
>> University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
> Lincoln D. Stein
> Ontario Institute for Cancer Research
> 101 College St., Suite 800
> Toronto, ON, Canada M5G0A3
> 416 673-8514
> Assistant: Stacey Quinn <Stacey.Quinn at oicr.on.ca>
> Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory
> 1 Bungtown Road
> Cold Spring Harbor, NY 11724 USA
> (516) 367-8380
> Assistant: Sandra Michelsen <michelse at cshl.edu>
> Bioperl-l mailing list
> Bioperl-l at lists.open-bio.org
Lab of Dr. Marie-Claude Hofmann
College of Veterinary Medicine
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
More information about the Bioperl-l