[Bioperl-l] bioperl-l Google Groups mirror

Jay Hannah jay at jays.net
Thu Dec 17 12:05:24 EST 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> I haven't tried yet posting to the group at the bioperl-l at googlegroups dot com email under an email address that isn't subscribed to bioperl-l at bioperl dot org. Maybe it actually would work, contrary to docs.

In my experience (and ignoring a brief glitch this summer) moderation of new members works great. Almost zero spam gets through. Not as convenient for the admin as MailMan self-service email verification, but perhaps easier for some users and not too much admin work if you don't have too many new legitimate members every month.

Here is the configuration set I recommend:

Your membership roles will end up with quite a few junk accounts, but those bots can't post, so it's not that big a deal. I purge mine manually once a year or so.