[Bioperl-l] bp_genbank2gff3.pl in bioperl-live: why map CDS to gene_component_region?

Leighton Pritchard Leighton.Pritchard at scri.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 12:35:42 EDT 2010

I can't seem to find any discussion of this on the mailing list archives (if
anyone has a link, I'll happily follow it), so I was wondering what the
rationale was for the bp_genbank2gff3.pl script as modified in bioperl-live
mapping CDS features to gene_component_region.

For example, if I use the script on the E.coli sequence/annotation
NC_000913.gbk, the gene:

     gene            190..255
                     /note="synonyms: ECK0001, JW4367"
     CDS             190..255
                     /function="leader; Amino acid biosynthesis: Threonine"
                     /function=" metabolism; building block
                     biosynthesis; amino acids; threonine"
                     /note="GO_process: threonine biosynthetic process [goid
                     /product="thr operon leader peptide"

Is mapped to

NC_000913       GenBank region  190     255     .       +       .
NC_000913       GenBank exon    190     255     .       +       .
NC_000913       GenBank gene    190     255     .       +       .
ECK0001%2C JW4367;gene=thrL;locus_tag=b0001
NC_000913       GenBank gene_component_region   190     255     .       +
,EcoGene:EG11277,ECOCYC:EG11277,GeneID:944742;Note=GO_process: threonine
biosynthetic process [goid
0009088];Ontology_term=GO:0009088;codon_start=1;function=leader%3B Amino
acid biosynthesis: Threonine, metabolism%3B building block
biosynthesis%3B amino acids%3B
threonine;gene=thrL;locus_tag=b0001;product=thr operon leader

I understand the region-exon-gene part of the model, but not the
gene_component_region, which appears to be a catch-all.  I would have
assumed that the CDS is better mapped to a polypeptide, as described in the
CHADO documentation:

There is no difference in script output whether --CDS or --noCDS is used.

Dr Leighton Pritchard MRSC
D131, Plant Pathology Programme, SCRI
Errol Road, Invergowrie, Perth and Kinross, Scotland, DD2 5DA
e:lpritc at scri.ac.uk       w:http://www.scri.ac.uk/staff/leightonpritchard
gpg/pgp: 0xFEFC205C       tel:+44(0)1382 562731 x2405

SCRI, Invergowrie, Dundee, DD2 5DA.
The Scottish Crop Research Institute is a charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No: SC 29367.
Recognised by the Inland Revenue as a Scottish Charity No: SC 006662.

This email is from the Scottish Crop Research Institute, but the views expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of SCRI and its subsidiaries.  This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to the intended recipient at the e-mail address to which it has been addressed.  It may not be disclosed or used by any other than that
If you are not the intended recipient you are requested to preserve this confidentiality and you must not use, disclose, copy, print or rely on this e-mail in any way. Please notify postmaster at scri.ac.uk quoting the name of the sender and delete the email from your system.

Although SCRI has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any).