[Bioperl-l] Update: call for Google Summer of Code project ideas

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 2 08:54:09 EST 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Robert Buels <rbuels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> As kindly pointed out by Reece Hart, the previous email I sent out calling
> for Google Summer of Code project ideas, had the wrong due date for project
> ideas in it.
> I actually want them to all be in place by Friday, March 2, which is this
> coming Friday.
> == Instructions for Wiki Editing ==
> For each of the OBF projects that wants to do GSoC again this year, please:
> a.) Update the list of project ideas on your project's GSoC page (BioPython,
> BioPerl, BioRuby, etc).  Add new ones, remove ones that have already been
> done or no longer relevant, etc.
> b.) Update the list of project ideas on the main OBF GSoC page
> (http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code) to match.
> c.) Let me know via email that you have done so and it's ready for Google to
> peruse.
> == end instructions ==
> Again, please have the updates done by this Friday (March 2). The number and
> quality of the project ideas are part of the evaluation process for whether
> OBF is accepted as a Summer of Code organization again this year, so let's
> come up with some good ones.  :-)
> Rob

Hi all,

I had a quick look at the BioPerl page (partly for inspiration for Biopython
projects), and it doesn't seem to have been updated since the 2011 project

Some of those 2011 ideas became actual projects didn't they? If so, can
any of them be continued as a new project for 2012?

Over on the BioSQL mailing list I suggested a combined BioSQL+BioPerl
project idea to support the SQLite schema. Does anyone fancy mentoring